Issues and Trends in Aging
This course introduces students to the broad political and social framework and policy considerations that impact the aging population. Throughout, a problem-based approach will be used to address national political, social, and economic policies that directly impact the way we organize, finance, and deliver aging services. Students will address issues and controversies such as:
- Should we ration health care for older people?
- Should families provide for their own?
- Should older people be protected from bad choices?
- Should people have the choice to end their lives?
- Should age or need be the basis for entitlements?: The US and international perspectives.
- Health Care Reform